Header Home About Me Shop Freebies Contact FB IG Pinterest TPT Bloglovin email

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Five for Friday {with a Saturday twist!}

I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for her Five for Friday goodness! You should too!


1. 
We've been working hard on measurement activities this week and we began the unit by measuring our own shoes with linking cubes. Who knew letting the kids take off a shoe would make them crazy engaged in learning? They couldn't even get over it.

2. 

Speaking of measurement, on a different day, I let the kids measure me with linking cubes to see how many cubes long I was. In case you're interested, I was 83 cubes long!

3. 

We use the Houghton Mifflin reading series at my school, and right now we are in the "Spring is Here!" theme. We've been learning about the four seasons and we created these seasons circle maps in our interactive notebooks. We created a big poster together as a group as we brainstormed all the things we would see during each season and then the kids made their own little versions inside their notebooks.

4. 


I love this book! We read Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash. The kids always laugh so hard at all the silly thing she hangs up on her clothesline. To retell the story, we made our own Mrs. McNosh clothesline story sticks.

5. 

I posted about this in my last blog entry, but my kids are currently obsessed with non-fiction and have been begging me for more books every single day. They have recently begun using them to create their OWN non-fiction books and pull these out every time they finish their work early! It's so awesome to see the kids excited about learning independently... and the fact that they came up with this idea on their own thrills my teaching heart! You can read more about it in my last blog post here!

Enjoy your weekend, everyone! The end of the year is coming soon!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Caitlin!
    I just found your blog. My district uses HM too and I am also just doing some seasons activities! I love to use Heidi Songs with everything... but she has these great songs for each season on her language arts CD... just in case you wanna add a little music in your life. :)

    My kids are also obsessed with non fiction books - isn't that great!

    Christy
    Crayons and Whimsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks! I love heidisongs! I only own her sight word videos, though. I've been playing the Dr. Jean seasons song. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi! I just found this blog and love what you did for Mrs. McNosh! We're reading that book next week and I was wondering where you found those pictures that you had your kids "hang up"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks! Sorry I didn't see your comment sooner... they actually are a part of our Houghton Mifflin reading series; it came with our blackline masters. So unfortunately, I can't share it with you! :-/

      Delete