Header Home About Me Shop Freebies Contact FB IG Pinterest TPT Bloglovin email

Monday, July 4, 2016

Monday Made-It 07.04.16

This week I just HAD to link up with Monday Made-It because my good friend Maribel from Learning in Wonderland is hosting it for Tara over at 4th Grade Frolics! She is an amazing person and is insanely creative and I can't wait to see what she shares with us!


This year, my school is putting a really big focus on teaching math vocabulary to our students. We want to have common vocabulary that we use, especially between grades K-3, so that students are familiar with the words before they even arrive in the next grade! I think it's so important for our students to know, understand, and be able to use math words effectively to help their understanding of the concepts being taught. One thing I really tried to do more with my first graders this year was having them describe how they knew how to solve a problem. To do that, they needed to be able to use the math words they had learned to explain their thinking.

Being at a new school last year, it was my first year teaching in this particular classroom, and I was so excited to find that I had bulletin boards GALORE covering almost every wall! I decided to make one of my big boards into a math wall.


I put up a few posters and anchor charts here and there, but never really used it to its full potential. Truth be told... most of the posters I put up at the beginning of the year stayed there even long after we finished learning about the concept! (oops!)


Yeahhhh... see how there's only one thing in the corner and then GIANT EMPTY SPACE? That is officially not using my math board to its full potential. Ha!

I wanted to create something to use on my math wall that would be meaningful for my students as a resource while teaching certain math concepts - and something that I could use as a teaching resource as well, so I created math vocabulary posters!


I'm going to use these cards in pocket charts as I'm introducing the words - when I'm done, they'll go on my math wall for student reference. Each one has the math word at the top and a picture and a kid-friendly definition on the bottom.



I also plan on printing them a bit smaller for students to have their own set on rings! I'm so excited to get them all put together. I really think that these math vocabulary posters will help my students in their number talks, calendar, and whole group learning!


You can get these editable posters right now in my TPT store! Over 40 math words are included. The best part is... they are totally EDITABLE! So if there is a word you need; or a different definition you'd like to include for a word, then you can change the card to fit what you want it to say! 

In honor of the 4th of July and Monday Made-It, these math posters (along with the rest of my store) are 20% off today only! Click the picture below to download a preview and check out all the words that are included!


Head on over to 4th Grade Frolics (click to get there!) and share some of YOUR Monday Made-Its!

6 comments:

  1. As a big kid teacher, I would just like to say THANK YOU so much for introducing all the math vocabulary at the K-3 level. That foundation is so important an we couldn't do what we do in the upper grades without fabulous little kid teachers like you! Much appreciated!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your math vocabulary resource. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a math teaching board last year, too. It was a good reference for my kiddos. Good for you that you made all your own resources! See you around. Kathleen Kidpeople Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Math vocabulary is SOOOO important!!! I make my kiddos use it when they are explaining their answers during morning math meetings. Math is everywhere if they just look! Your cards are great! So functional and helpful and SO cute too! Cute factor is always important..lol! I hope you can come back and link up again:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your posters are wonderful. Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your math vocabulary posters! I wish I had "bulletin boards GALORE" in my classroom!
    Kay @ Sommer’s Lion Pride

    ReplyDelete